Friday 9 April 2010

Mathematics - a thought

I'm always bothered by the number of people who've talked themselves into helplessness when it comes to numbers. I'm particularly proud of something that popped into my head when my six-year-old niece said 'Oh, I can't do numbers,' and some inspiration made me say 'Hey, you're only six - you can do anything. It's only grown-ups who can't do things.'

I loved pure maths at school and university, and although I've forgotten almost everything I knew I love reading about it - I'm like the characters that Sir Thomas Beecham had in mind when he said 'The English don't like music, but they love the noise it makes.' And in a conversation on people's aversion to maths, the following slipped out: 'Mathematics is only an art form that uses truth as a tool.'

Hope that helps,

Valerie.

No comments:

Post a Comment